Subject: Re: [Leica] The shutter makes a buzz
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 06:37:42 -0700

Francesco Ricci wrote:

> Hi there,
> I've recently exchanged some R stuff for a M6 with the 50/2 summicron.
> I've just developed a roll of tmax400 and it's great. I guess I need
> some time to get familiar with the telemeter; focusing is rather
> different from the R7.
> It is made in Wetzlar (I guess one of the last, because it has already
> the red label "leica", not "leitz") and the shop that sold me the camera
> said that it is more appreciated than the M6 made in solm, is it true?

As the red dot is removable to access the rangefinder adjustment it may
have been replaced during service with the later 'Leica' red dot.  Some
may value the early Wetzlar M6 more than the later model but I don't
think you will see any difference in the photos ;-)

> Anyway, my only doubt is a buzz that I can hear with the slowest times.
> I believe that it is normal when the shutter is open (it is the same
> sound that made my old rollei 35). But is it normal that the sound last
> some short time (maybe 1 sec.) after the shutter is closed? Any reply is
> appreciated.
> ciao

This sound is quite normal and is caused by the slow speed escapment
'running down' after the slow speed timing is completed.

Congratulations on becoming a Leica User!

Dennis