Subject: [Leica] Patersen Developer
From: Alex Brattell <alex@zetetic.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 11:12:27 +0100

<prasepe@ibm.net>
>Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 12:36:28 -0400
>Subject: [Leica] Patersen Developer
>
>Hi all,
>
>There has been a couple of references to Patersen's Fx39 developer which =
>I remember reading about in a Shutterbug article by Roger Hicks where he =
>gives it high praises.  I think he said something like, "the most =
>sparkle I've seen in 35mm negs from any developer."  Comments from =
>anyone who uses this developer?  with Delta 100?  Does anyone know if =
>and where it can be found in the US?  Thanks for your help.

I can't comment on FX39, I'm curious about it too and will try it some day.
However, last year I did a lot of work with other Paterson chemistry and
found it excellent. The company very kindly sent me 100 rolls of Acupan 200
with Aculux 2 developer for an exhibition I made with my students (I teach
part time at an art college in East London) at the Whitechapel Art Gallery
Foyer - this was done with 'Roniflex' toy cameras (a chance find - they were
one uk pound each at a local shop!). I kept 5 rolls for my own use so I saw
95 rolls used and generally abused in plastic cameras by new photographers,
and 5 rolls used with a bit more precision. The impression I was left with
was that these are materials that are right up there with any other -
precise enough and forgiving enough, with a 'real' type of neg that is
pleasant to print and yields fine results. (The exhibition, 'Dreams Made
Flesh' looked great by the way). I also happen to like the 200 ISO speed for
general use.

I understand that the chemistry was co-developed by Geoffrey Crawley,
technical editor of the British Journal of Photography and A Man Who Knows
Everything (and even writes reviews with the occassional joke in them!).

Alex