Subject: Re: [Leica] VARIO-ELMAR-R f/3.5-4.5/28-70 mm
From: FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 1998 12:30:49 EDT

<< Sigma-built version had quality-control problems, so I'm curious to
 learn a bit more about the new version. >>
So often I read comments like this which quote from a limited number of
experiences. We do not know the failure rates of these lenses or of many other
pieces of equipment as well. To determine if some object is prone to failure
would require that we do a controlled time-series study which calculates time
to failure and assesses the statistical significance of that rate.
Simply to say that a couple of people had a lens fall apart is not to say that
it has "problems. For example, I bought the original zoom which you speak of
new and used it for years. I then gave it to my daughter who used it all
through college and her travels in Europe. Many years later and thousands of
photos later, I sent it back to Leica for a tune-up. They cleaned, lubed and
replaced the the diaphram detent (which felt ok to me). So, based on my
experience, Leitz did not have a quality control problem on my lens (sample of
one!). I could say the same thing regarding the three R4's I own.
Bob Figlio