Subject: Re: [Leica] on photographic seeing
From: "Bruce R. Slomovitz" <brslomo@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 18:57:16 -0400

I recently visited Charleston, S.C. and while walking through the old market
building noticed the ladies selling the sweetgrass baskets.  Thinking that
this would make a good photo, I walked to the end of the building where
ladies were selling the baskets outside.  I raised my M6 to my eye, and
began to focus.  The ladies put their hands up in front of their faces and
make some comments which I did not catch.  This was two or three months ago
and I have wondered to this day why they reacted in this manner.  Is it an
economics issue?  Are they perhaps not declaring the income?  Or do they
perhaps regard picture taking as an intrusion?  Or would they object less or
not at all if one were to buy a basket?  If any of you can shed light on
this, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks,

Bruce S.