Subject: [Leica] Re: Digilux = Fuji MX-700 ?
From: Pascal <cyberdog@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 15:35:21 +0200

Someone mentioned that the forthcoming Leica Digilux will in fact be a
disguised Fuji MX-700 digital camera (made by Fuji). I don't know if this
is true, but I just read a test of the MX-700 camera in the UK magazine
MacUser, and it looks like a great camera in its market segment.
Pros: the camera is conveniently compact and well-built (aluminium
alloy), has well thought-out controls (thumbweel, circular control
device) and works fast (4 to 5 secs between shots). The lens is above
average in that price/market bracket (1.5 million pixels, max resolution
1280x1024).
Cons: the lens is not protected by a lens cap, the camera is awkward to
hold (vertical camera and you risk putting you fingers on the unprotected
lens) and the battery charge takes very long . The LCD display is good
but it is very slow at displaying images at the highest resolution.
Indoor flash pics tend to be flat, and the flash does not appear to be
producing red eyes. Outdoor images do have a kind of blue cast, so they
need adjustment afterwards.
This test report can be viewed at the web site of MacUser:
http://www.macuser.co.uk (free registration required)

I only hope that Leica is not simply rebadging the Fuji camera. Where
otherwise would the added value be, besides the cool-looking red dot on
the front of it?
;-)

Pascal

Check out: http://members.xoom.com/cyberplace/
Macintosh PowerBook G3 - it eats Pentium notebooks for lunch