Subject: [Leica] [Q] Valuation on an Elmar-M
From: Stephen Alred <salred@toad.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 08:36:47 -0400

Folks,

Please forgive an obvious FAQ, but I haven't seen much on this topic in the
digests:

While perusing the used Leica case at my local camera store I spotted a
50mm f2:8 Elmar-M (or is it Elmarit?), serial number in the 1.6 million
range offered for $350.  My superficial examination revealed no brassing,
the glass appeared clear, and the diaphragm blades (lots of diaphragm
blades) were clean.

The price is appealing,BUT, I really have no clue on how to really check
out the lens; in particular how to look for element separation.  I intend
to return with my trusty penlight and proceed to  hem and haw while I peer
through the lens, but I would appreciate a beginner's summary on evaluating
such a lens in the shop.

The store does have a two week return policy, but I'd like to be smarter
about it than I am now.

Thanks,
Steve Alred