Subject: Re: [Leica] Format units question
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 10:57:47 -0400

At 01:17 AM 8/14/98 EDT, TTAbrahams wrote:
>Where the
>British or " Imperial" system falls apart is in machining. Trust me. it is
>easier to machine in metric than in 1/1000 of 2,54 cm. At least I know that a
>full turn on the feedwheel of my small lathe is 1,00 mm movement with the
>cutting tool, not 0,0384". On the bigger lathe the handwheels are calibrated
>in Imperial and this unit has a calculator epoxied to the tailstock!!!.

What you are dealing with here is how the machine is set up.  It would be
equally easy to calibrate a small lathe so that the feedwheel moves .01" or
whatever as to have it calibrated to move 1.00mm.

There is no special magic in either 0.025mm nor in 0.001".

The only possible Leica connexion here, of course, is that Barnack DID mix
the two systems:  the true LTM is 39mm by 26 turns-per-inch, a fact which
befuddled Ukrainian and Japanese design-thieves for quite a few years.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!