Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica quality
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 22:54:45 -0700

> I'm still having trouble witht the M6 black body that I bought in June.
> It's going back to Leica today for the third time.  The problem was
> originally too much play in the bayonet, especially with the Noctilux.
> An now, I discovered that the handgrip goes on out of kilter.
> Anyone have an experience like this??
>
> Mary

I had problems with my M6 grip after a lot of tripod use. Without the grip
on the camera, clamping down too hard with the tripod screw started to pull
out the base plate a bit where the threads are. As a result, there was
about a 1/16th inch gap at the other end between the base plate and the
grip plate when I attached the grip. Is this what you mean by out of
kilter?

To fix it, I attached the base plate backwards on my M6 baseplate to make,
in effect, a lever that was attached to the base plate threads with the
base of the grip extending away from the camera. I very carefully applied
pressure to my "lever", slowing bending the base plate thread back into
alignment. I can't remember if I did this with the base plate attached to
the body or off of the body. Anyway, it worked, and I try not to reef down
so hard on the tripod screw now. Just be careful if you try this, bend a
little at a time, then check it.

Gary Todoroff
Tree Lugger, Eureka