Subject: Re: [Leica] Non-Leica-Made Electronic M?
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Aug 1998 14:49:05 -0400

At 12:59 PM 8/13/98 EDT, Bob rbedw wrote:

>Leica thought that they
>did the right thing when they commissioned Minolta to make the R series.

This isn't quite what happened.  Leitz and Minolta had been pooling
research for some years prior to the R3, and the camera has a lot of
Wetzlar technology contained in it.

Bob rbedw also wrote:
>a. Keep the current M6 as it is and continue to make it more affordable with
>quality improvements.

It is my understanding, on exceeding good authority, that production of
both the M6 and M6HM has ceased, a fact previously reported on the LUG.
They are spurlos versunkt.  Stay tuned for Photokina;  expect very little
change in the new model.

Finally, Mr Rob rbedw has proposed that Leica market a new auto-focus M for
a 50% cost increase, and draws the parallel of the LTM and M switch-over.
This is actually a wonderful analogy, as the M3 originally cost 1 1/2 times
the cost of a IIIf.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!