Subject: Re: [Leica] Enlarger V35
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 21:25:11 -0700

Mary - you just need to pay attention all the way through the process. You
ensure sharp negs with obviously great Leica optics, plus fast speeds or
tripods and accurate focus. Then get your development consistent so you
know what to expect. Experiment some, but settle in soon on what works for
you. It is amazing how much agitation of the film can affect grain and
contrast. Go for too little agitation rather than two much. I use two very
gentle inversions every 30 seconds with my AB55 developer.

I can't emphasize enough the attention to cleanliness throughout the whole
development and enlarging process. Use filtered water for chemicals and
washing. Really rinse all your containers well. I never use a squeegee on
the film - just photoflo in soft water and hang up to dry.

I use a hepa air filtration unit in the darkroom and run it for an hour or
two before developing film. I also hang the wet film in a makeshift vinyl
"tent". It's not completely isolated from the air, but keeps any dust from
settling down on the film while it is drying. Resist the temptation to peek
at the film while it is still wet. After it dries, cut it carefully on a
clean bench or table and put right away into protective sheets or sleeves.

If you really enjoy spotting prints, you can ignore all of the above.

Next, enlargers must be very stable and very parallel on all optical planes
- - nothing wrecks an otherwise sharp picture like one corner with the grain
out of focus. The 1c and V35 are excellent at overall crisp focus to the
paper and are rock steady.

As for grain, that is somewhat a matter of taste, but you shouldn't be
seeing objectionable grain with Tri-x on an 8x10. Try another developer
and/or agitate more gently and pay attention to consistent temperature
throughout all the chemicals. WIth an 8x10 enlargement,  it takes a
practiced eye to see those beautiful "Tri-X skies" when grain just begins
to show in large expanses of gray. You won't use Tri-X for elegant
landscape studies with 35mm, but for lots of subject matter, it easily goes
to 11x14 when everything is done right.

Attention to all the details along the way, like in most things, also works
very well for enlarging from 35mm. Pretty soon, those details will be
second nature and your friends will be asking which medium format camera
you used to get that great photograph!

Regards
Gary Todoroff
Tree Lugger, Eureka