Subject: Re: [Leica] Good old lenses
From: Dennis Painter <dwp@deltanet.com>
Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 06:25:42 -0700

Nathan Wajsman wrote:

> To some extent, maybe. I have no illusions that the Hektor is inferior to
> current lenses when you start counting lines etc. When I photograph buildings
> or landscapes or anything with fine detail, I want the ultimate sharpness. But
> for portraits in particular the ultimate sharpness is not necessarily required,
> and the lens seems to have a special quality to it that makes rendition of
> faces pleasing. In addition, it is quite cheap (I paid $175 for mine)--how many
> Leica lenses can one say this about?
>
> Nathan

If you don't already have a 135 and no 'plans' to get one then its worth
$175 to 'try it out'

I recently got one for about that price, perfect glass and came with a
hood to boot. Works great on the M6HM and the images are better than I
expected.  It has made me reconsider using the 135 on the M.  Granted I
think the HM finder makes it much more usable.

Dennis