Subject: Re: [Leica] Improving leica-made images
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 09 Aug 1998 22:06:34 -0500

At 07:07 PM 8/9/98 -0700, you wrote:

>and tends to be very grainy. The gal next to me, who has been shooting
>professionally for 5 years, said I could try shooting with lower speed
>film (obviously iso100 or less) OR shoot TriX400 rated 200 BUT develop
>as normal. She said the lab did not have to compensate when developing

Obviously, just because someone says they work as a pro doesn't mean they
know much about some things.

Overexposure with conventional black and white film and no reduction of
development will cause overexposure, and one of the effects is bigger
grain. Of course, some people consider Tri-X as normal at ISO 200 or 250.
But you need to do testing yourself. Nothing fancy. Just shoot it at the
different speeds and see if the negs are thick (overexposed) or not.

Overexposure also will cause the shadows to be too bright, and highlights
will block up. The best negative is the one that has just enough exposure
and development to give you good shadow detail without overexposing the
highlights.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

When there's a will, I want to be in it.