Subject: Re: [Leica] Improving leica-made images
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 20:47:50 -0700

> In a message dated 8/9/98 9:51:27 PM, you wrote:
>
> << I wondered how to improve the quality of my
> enlargements (8x10) from M6/35mm f2-shot negs (trix400)>>
>
> I strongly urge you to learn to develop you own film.  It's the only way
> have control over a critical part of the printing process.

If you are just getting started and want to keep the development really
simple, try the AB55 developer from Cachet. Neither time nor temperature
are critical - any film uses around five minutes in the A and B parts
(hence AB55), anywhere between 65 and 75 degrees.

It works great with Tri-X, and I especially like being able to develop more
than one kind of B&W film in the same run. Once I did Tri-X, Delta 100 and
Agfa APX25 all in the same tank. The APX25 with AB55 is really awesome -
beautiful contrast, virtually no grain - some of the easiest negatives to
enlarge that I've seen. I use it for 4x5 film in a rotary drum processor,
too, with excellent results.

Life gets complicated. AB55 is one of the few places I have been able to
simplify.

Gary Todoroff