Subject: [Leica] Photo Groups
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Sat, 8 Aug 1998 13:49:09 EDT

All,
	With all the discussion lately about photographic seeing, the art of
photography, etc. , I think now is a good time to propose something I have
been thinking about for a while.  I, and I assume others on the LUG, pretty
much do photography in a vacuum.  I show my work to friends and family who all
praise me (which certainly feels good).  However, I find it difficult to get
honest criticsm from anyone.  Most of the people who see my photos are not
photographers and don't want to hurt my feelings.
	I am proposing to set up small groups of interested LUG members, who would
circulate photos and written criticism within their group.  Currently, in the
UK is an organization called The Leica Postal Portfolio (established 1936!).
They have been doing this for years.  They not only circulate photographs
within what they call circles, but publish a very interesting magazine edited
by Lug member Jeremy Kime.  I am sure if enough people are interested, he
would be happy to share the details of how they do it.  I think this could be
an excellent way to get feedback and inspiration from other Leica
photograpers.
	I would be happy to take on the task of organizing groups in the US if enough
people are interested.  Please let me know what you think.

		Richard Wasserman