Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Photography
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 18:48:27 -0400

RBedw51767@aol.com wrote:

SNIP
Everyone has
> different interests and I am always reluctant to lead a conversation to
> processing, printing, mounting, nature photography, children photography, zone
> system, and so on.  The Leica list is not all inclusive for me nor do I
> believe that it is the only source of photographic information for LUGERS.

SNIP

Bob and Curt,

I can agree with you on some of the inanities of this group such as
plastic on bottom plates, red dots, etc. However, if you or any other
skeptic lurks (or participates) long enough you will learn many things.
Some of these include: Ted's preference for shooting wide open and
optimizing the bokeh of the glass; My preference for street photography
around f8.0 so that I can use hyperfocal settings for more spontaneity;
Donal's information on boat photography, emulsion testing for color and
portable lighting; Harrison's experiences doing news photos after
tornadoes in Memphis and the pros and cons of R8 bodies with long
lenses; Tina's approaches to people photography and her dedication to
her long term projects; The variety of technical tips and moral support
for Marc Small on his jazz photography; Duane's feedback on multiple
body use, Canon vs. Leica, emulsion preferences; And then there's Tom
Abrahamsson who has info on just about everything else. And so on.

There is a hell of a lot to learn. It doesn't come at once. You have to
ask. Sometimes you have to ask more than once. The point of all this is
that it is a community. If you don't feel it has something to offer you,
then grab the helm and steer this ship where you want it to go.

The one thing I've found with some of the other groups, particularly,
photoforum, is how nasty it is. There are raging egomaniacs and
condescending attitudes. Who needs that crap? Photography is not just
equipment and it is not just technique. It is a continuum. I truly
believe we cover much of the range of that continuum here in the LUG.

- --
Carl Socolow

"Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do." Garrison
Keillor.