Subject: RE: [Leica] Leica M versus R for Scenics
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 13:51:26 -0700

Robert,
Thanks for the excellent post.  I found your comments very valuable and
relevant to my next shoot, a summit climb of Mt. Adams for MSNBC.  In my
test hikes around Mt. Ranier with the equipment, I also found that the long
teles were only minimally useful and, like you, ended up shooting mostly
with the 353/50/90 lenses.  The 21 also has great perspective for certain
subjects.

It's not only the weight, but also the bulkiness that makes the M the better
choice for me.  I can fit the M6 with 35/50/90 lenses in the Lowe Pro Off
Trail waist pack, which is small enough that it doesn't inhibit your leg
movement or crush your waist the way the larger waistpacks do.

Still gotta have an SLR for those surrounds, though.  Drat.