Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar-M tested by CDI
From: TEAShea@aol.com
Date: Thu, 6 Aug 1998 14:18:16 EDT

<< The focusing mechanism felt like sand was stuck in it and the
 change of focal length had no affect on the viewfinder grids in my M6 .85.
 Sounds like Leica made sure CDI had a perfect example to test.   I would be
 curious to know others experience with the Tri-Elmar. >>

I like the Tri-Elmar, but it is quite a bit different from all of the other M
lenses I have.  The focusing mechanism is unique.  It does not use the usual M
system.  It has a rubbery substance that deforms and acts to damp the focusing
feel.  It does not have the good feel that the other M lenses have, but it
works fine.  One must understand that great feat of engineering of the Leica
engineers in making this lens.  They accomplished something that the camera
mount system was never designed to do.  Necessarily there are compromises.
That being said, I like the lens, but don't use it as much as the fixed FL
lenses.

Tom Shea