Subject: [Leica] Slide or drum this is the question
From: John Chapman <jc@designcs.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Aug 1998 13:29:55 +0000

Hi Luggers,

Alex Merz wrote that dynamic range was more important than resolution
per se. Dynamic range is completely dependent on the resolution you scan
at that is a given.
After that other variables are introduced such as the tonal curve of the
driver software
and the file format in which the scanned image is saved in.
My reading of Pascal's original post was that he was seeking advice on
desktop slide scanners. Without knowing his budget we can only speculate
as to what scanning solution are appropriate for him but I don't think
drum scanners figure in his options.
I have personally used most of the slide scanners around. From my point
of view working in reportage  Nikon are clear winners. The Kodak
machines are just too big for fieldwork unless you are working from a
static location for a period of time. But the quality is better.
Regarding storage and file size a hign capacity external hard drive say
4 to 10 gigabytes
and a zip drive to send images for publication. Zip's have toppled
Syquest as medium of choice for sending files for output. As has
Iomega's Jazz drive for larger removable storage requirements.

Lastly, the best way to ensure your scanned images look the way you
intend is to scan it yourself. Using Photoshop's very powerful suite of
image manipulation tools you can bring out the best in Leica glass
digitally.

John Chapman

http://www.fotografie.demon.co.uk