Subject: Re: [Leica] Inappropriate use of LUG ... yata yata
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 23:38:56 -0400

Joe,

I think what you'll find, and it is one of the civilized qualities of
the LUG, is that we indeed do engage in banter and odd, assorted
dialogues. That is what makes this a community. After awhile you will
come to know those who dominate the group, those who occassionally
participate, and those who just lurk. What you will also find is a
passion and dedication to photography via the use of Leica cameras.
There will also be exchanges about everything from film types to whether
or not to use filters (don't :)). The post you cited does have enough
info on Leica "stuff" to make it relevant to the LUG. And believe me,
there have been plenty of times where we have been so off topic you'd
hardly know it was a forum for Leica users. What you will also find is
that the creator/administrator/deus ex machina, a Mr. Brian Reid, keeps
a very distant hands-off approach to his little Frankenstein. He might
occassionally step in if there are technical glitches or someone is
really violating protocol. But otherwise he lets us play.

My advice, relax, enjoy the digest or resubscribe to the list. It's not
really that bad receiving 50-100 posts per day.:) Many of us use mail
filtering to screen people we don't want to bother with, topics we're
not interested in (mine is set to "R8") or other methods of cutting
through the noise. But I will say this: I have learned a lot here amidst
the clutter. And we have come to have a unique sense of community that
you won't find in very many other mailing list formats. We share
triumphs and loss. And the mundane. It is what keeps us human.

- --
Carl Socolow

"Sometimes the wrong thing is exactly the thing you should do." Garrison
Keillor.