Subject: [Leica] filters - OH NO! :-0
From: Thomas Kachadurian <kach@freeway.net>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 21:08:34 -0400

Luggers:

I don't want to drag up an ugly subject, but I have something to take back.

In a few of the recent debates on filters I have asserted that filters
aren't needed because the hoods extend so far beyond the glass. When I
wrote that I was using a 50 Summicron with a 12585, a 90 TE with a 12575
hood and a 35 Summicron with the little rectangular hood. In all cases the
hoods are rigid and deep.

I recently purchased a new 50 Summilux. The pull out hood is quite shallow,
and with the lens uncapped, the hood can collapse with the slightest brush.
I still won't be putting a filter on there, but for the first time I'll be
thinking twice about walking in a crowd uncapped.
Thomas Kachadurian
WEB PAGE: http://members.aol.com/kachaduria