Subject: [Leica] Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 17:06:57 -0700
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 98 17:07:04 -0700

Thanks to all of you on the LUG who took the time to reply to my plea for
advice on mountaineering photo gear.  I did a test hike on Mt Ranier this
weekend with the gear and bag I intended to carry.

Observations:
*	Didn't use the 70-200 f2.8L much at either extreme.  Plus, its
weight and size are prohibitive for a trek like this.  Don't even think it's
worthwhile to carry the much lighter 75-300 IS USM.  The fixed 100 f2 would
have been fine.
*	The LowePro "Off Road" bag is too large to carry comfortably on your
waist for long periods.  For regular travel, it's fine, but for hiking steep
hills, it's too much.  The smaller LowePro "Off Trail" is perfect for an M6
with three lenses and feels comfortable for long stretches.
*	The Peace River head is nowhere near as stable as the Bogen QTVR
head, but alot lighter.
*	It is impossible, as far as i can figure it, to find the nodal point
for either the Summilux 35 or Elmarit 21 mounted on the M6 for shooting
surround videos.  Has anyone figured this out?
*	The poorly-placed and flimsy tripod socket on the baseplate makes it
impossible to keep the camera perfectly vertical on the surround head,
unless you tape it down with gaffers tape.  No, the M grip doesn't help.
Bummer.
*	The Gitzo Mountaineer, made of Carbon Fiber, is a wonderful piece of
equipment.  So small and light, and so stiff.  I hang my pack on the little
hook and that keeps it very settled.  The Foba mini superball works
perfectly.  The quick release plate for the Stoboframe is nice and thin, and
small with offset screws that works very well for the M6.
*	The A2E batteries died once while we were up there, which sent me
into a mad scramle through the bag in search of a spare.  Reminded me of why
I like the M6's mechanical design.  On the other hand, the M6 battery will
die quickly if you stick it in the bag without setting it to B.  Why do
excellent products like the M6 always have to be so difficult?
*	The flip polarizer is a pain.  It's always getting caught in straps
and such while hiking, and can't be fitted to the Summicron 90.  Bummer.

So, the plan is to shoot the whole thing primarily with the M6 (kept in the
small Off Trail waistpack) and keep the A2E in the large suspension pack for
shooting surrounds.  Here's the gear list.

*	Canon A2E
*	Canon 17-35 f2.8L
*	Leica M6
*	Summilux 35 ASPH
*	Summicron 50
*	Summicron 90
*	Gitzo Mountaineer 1228 with Foba mini superball and Stroboframe
quick release
*	Peace River Surround video head

Jim Laurel
Microsoft Digital Television