Subject: Re: [Leica] Slide Scanners
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Aug 1998 16:36:32 +0100

John Chapman wrote:
[...]
> My advice is buy the best you can afford in terms of optical resolution.
> John Chapman
> http://www.fotografie.demon.co.uk

I really don't agree with this advice. If you wish to scan slides,
then dynamic range is absolutely critical. The best scanners will
pull *much* more detail out of the shadows than lesser models.
Dynamic range is as or more important than resolution per se.

This becomes even more critical if you tend to shave your slide
exposures a bit (e.g., K64 @ -1/3).

Right now the best scans are still the hyperexpensive drum scans,
followed by PhotoCD through a good service bureau, with the latest
Nikon scanners trailing somewhere behind - although the latter
are really quite good, 'specially in terms of defect removal.

PhotoCD is definitely the best bang-for-buck ($1-2 per 6 megapixel
35mm scan, with quasi-archival storage included; expect price to
drop even further by next year).

The images on my site are from slide and print scans, and will be
vastly improved when I get the chance to send 'em out for PhotoCD.
Alexey Merz | URL: http://www.webcom.com/alexey | email: alexey@webcom.com