Subject: Re: [Leica] Why we use Leica (was potential image quality)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 02 Aug 1998 08:12:08 -0500

At 07:17 AM 8/2/98 -0400, you wrote:

>	Seems to me, also, that Leica attracts a far more
>	sophisticated type of photographer
>	who might not make it in the photo-journalism
>	business as the objectives differ widely.

I take exception with this statement. First of all, some of the most
sophisticated photographers in the world are photojournalists. And many of
the best work for newspapers. Maybe not yours. Depends on the ownership
whether photography will be treated with respect. Don't judge a profession
by one small staff.

And no, there is no digital camera that meets all photojournalism's needs.
But the savings in film and processing is becoming more and more important,
as is environmental concerns. For most, that compromise is worth the loss
of quality. My paper is going that direction, slowly. But the backshop does
a lot more dumping of silver than the photo department would ever dream of,
by far. Until they go computer to plate.

You are right that TTL capability is important to photojournalists. For
fill flash. But at this point, TTL flash and digital don't mix, though
Kodak/Canon's new digital camera almost has it beat. But for major lighting
needs, something more substantial is required. Studio lights in the studio
for portraits and illustrations (food, etc.), and something like
Broncolors, or Bo Lites, or Normans in the field.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Give me ambiguity or give me something else.