Subject: [Leica] Currency exchange rates: was Glass of water ...
From: George Huczek <ghuczek@sk.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1998 19:14:53 -0600

>>Joseph Codispoti writes:
>[cut]
>In 1971, while choosing a medium format camera, I narrowed the field to the
>Pentax 6x7 and the Mamiya RB 67.  I liked them both.
>The test that decided the choice was placing a 5 cent coin upright on each
>ground glass, firing the shutter with cable release and mirror in the normal
>position.
>The Pentax tipped and overturned the coin, the Mamiya did not.

The Pentax 6x7 is a real clunker.  I can't imagine using the earlier
version that lacked MLU. It would trigger a seismograph, no doubt.
 (You should have tried the test with a Canadian loonie-dollar lying flat.
These days just about anything makes the Canadian dollar fall <g>)

Which makes me wonder ... Canadian currency has been on a steady downward
decline, setting record lows over the past two months, and it doesn't look
as if it has hit rock bottom yet.  How soon will such currency decline
translate into higher prices on imported camera equipment?  Generally
speaking, how long does it take for camera prices to respond to such
downward currency fluctuations?

- -GH