Subject: Re: [Leica] 2x extender R disappointment
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 16:19:11 +0100

Alex Hurst wrote:
>Tried using my Leitz 2x  SL/SL2 extender to turn my 90/2 into a 180/4 on
>the cheap.
>
>Quite frankly, the results were appalling. Soft focus and washed out
>colour. Nothing wrong with the 90/2, as shots taken before and afterwards
>with just the prime lens were tack sharp and rich in colour.
>
>I can't believe that Leitz would produce an extender this bad, so there
>must be something wrong with it (or with the way I'm using it).

Hi Alex:

It has got to be something wrong with the extender pre-owner use unless you
have one that was screwed-up from the beginning.  I've used one since 1984
and I use it on all my lenses from the 15mm to the 400 and have results
that you can't tell I have used an extender. I defy anyone to tell me where
I used the extender and where I used a prime lens.

So my friend you have some kind of problem alright, but I can't imagine
Leitz   produceed it: But then again, I guess it depends when you bought it
and if it is the original or Apo model.

<<<<<<I can't believe that Leitz would produce an extender this bad, so there
>must be something wrong with it (or with the way I'm using it>>>

My first thought is, there must be something wrong with it and wonder if
you purchased it new or used? If new, I would expect it to be the Apo model
as opposed to the original version of standard glass. Although I doubt
there any new standards around. Which by the way mine is and I still throw
the gauntlet down for anyone to tell me if I did or didn't use a 2X
extender.

It is a magical piece of gear to use, as it fits every R lens you own,
unlike the 1.4 that fits specific lenses. I've always figured the 2X as not
only a doubler, but it "doubles the number of lenses I own!" The only
limiting factor of it's use is the limited vision/imagination of the
photographer who owns them.

>1) Anyone else had any bad experiences with Leitz 2x extenders?

I guess to be question/answer specific......Not one problem!

>2) If it needs checking out on an optical test bench, who's the best person
>to send it to? >>>>>>>

Why not send it to the people who make them? Leica, either NJ or Germany!
depending on where you live on this great big planet.

Sorry to hear about your problem, but I'm sure it can be rectified quickly.
As what you are experiencing just shouldn't happen.

ted