Subject: [Leica] 90mm Tele-Elmarit (1984)
From: "Jim Cheatham" <jcheatham@lex.lib.sc.us>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 12:52:50 -0400

I am thinking about buying a 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit that was made
(according to the numbers in Sartorius) in 1984.  Steven Gandy (Camera
Quest) warns the Tele-Elmarits have a "chronic problem to look out
for.... animal based grease which could attack the lens coating of the
rear elements. Once it starts, there are no cures other than new
glass...."

Is there any way to tell whether the lens has this problem?  How common
is this?  Is the Tele-Elamarit are really "good" lens?  I will be buying
through the mail from an individual, probably with "no return", etc.
Any recommendations?

Thank you - Jim Cheatham