Subject: Re: [Leica] potential image quality
From: FIGLIO4CAP@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 11:20:05 EDT

The issue of 35mm vs. larger format image quality is a very old one as we all
know. However, I can speak from my own experience over 40 years of picture
taking in all formats up to 8X10. All other factors being equal, larger format
= more of everything - gradation, sharpness, etc.  However, properly done 35mm
can produce extraordinarily rewarding images. For me, it is a real pleasure to
tease the last drop of information out of the 35mm format. And, as Erwin has
pointed out, line pairs/mm is not the sole criterion in that excersize.

Over the years I have owned extensive systems  in Nikon, Olympus, Pentax and
Mamiya 6x7 formats. My impression based on fairly well-controlled comparisons
was/is that Leica slides are more pleasing to my eyes. They have more depth
with wonderful rendition in the shadow areas. Of course, as Eric states, that
aspect of Leica photography exists whether or not the camera is hand-held.
However, if detail rendering is the goal, then a tripod is a must. I have a
friend who spend most of his time looking at negatives through a loupe.  He
even brings a magnifying glass to look at my prints.

The point is that the beautiful shadings and subtleties that most Leica lenses
produce are clearly observable to me and my acquaintances who appreciate photo
images.
 Bob Figlio