Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: carbon fibre television tripod
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@mra-inc.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 09:01:36 -0500

Now if we could only lighten the big lenses and the batteries.......

donal
<<<<<<<<<

You may get your wish. I'm hearing rumors that Nikon is loaning a version
of their 400 mm f/2.8 lens made of carbon fibre to photographers at
sporting events to try out. Supposedly it's several pounds lighter (I've
heard as many as five pounds lighter, but I don't really know the validity
of this) than the standard 400 mm f/2.8 lens.

But given the difference in price between a standard and carbon fibre Gitzo
tripod, I'd hate to think what a lens like this might cost. Leica long
lenses could look like real bargains in comparison.

Larry