Subject: Re: RE: [Leica] Capa was no coward!
From: Disfromage@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Jul 1998 02:22:53 EDT

<<
>I've read that Capa only stayed 90 minutes before fear took over and he went
>back to the ships.  Imagine the poor GI's who didn't have that choice!

This is a direct imputation that Capa was a coward.  He was not.  He
returned to his ship NOT from fear or horror but to complete his task,
which was to send the film back to England.  The accusation of cowardice is
a canard, and a vile and base one, at that.

Seing as how I wrote this first posting, please let me explain.  I was not
trying to say that Capa was a coward.  I realize it sounds like I was.  I was
merely repeating something I read recently-I don't remember where, maybe a
newspaper.  I should check my sources more carefully and think more before
repeating things other people say.  I apologize.  What I was trying to say was
that I have the utmost respect for the soldiers who had to land on those
beachs and found themselves in the middle of Hell.  They had a choice to
succumb to terror, or advance and do a job that under normal circumstances
noone should have to do.  I'm glad I've never been in a position to have to
make that kind of choice.  I don't know how they did it.

My apologies for any misunderstandings,

		Richard