Subject: Re: [Leica] Making the M6 discrete
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 15:12:21 -0400

You know, I don't entirely understand this general line of thought.  You're
not by far the first person to raise these issues.  I will defer to those
whose experience far exceeds mine, but I've never experienced any trouble
simply carrying any rf (Contax Gs and all flavors of Leicas) slung under my
right arm, or, often, a little toward the back partially concealed by an
arm (this mainly to streamline movement though crowds) as in Italy and in
the Netherlands where I've lived and shot much film.  Only once did I get a
question from a passerby, and that was following a BBC camera team through
the Minverval initiation in Leiden.  I was using a IIIf with a 90/4 Elmar
and a finder, and the thing does look damned peculiar, but I think
proximity to the crew (I wasn't part of it: just near it), sensitized the
crowd to photographers in general--of which there were several.

I agree with MJ Small that Leicas don't draw especial attention, not as
much say, as my Canon AE-1 with its mammoth 35-105/3.5 zoom.  Thugs don't
know Leicas from Kodaks, and in the circumstances where your camera is fair
game, *any* camera is fair game.  I don't ever carry a camera bag (I have a
leather satchel designed to carry shot-gun shells, which I bought in
Belgium, that will hold two bodies with lenses attached, my Luna Pro, and
as much film as I care to bring with.  I don't display both while street
shooting, but try discretely to switch them when necessary.  I also employ
hyper-focal focussing whenever possible and seldom actually bring the
camera to my eye (don't try this with anything longer than 50mm--in
general).  I *love* super-wides like the 20/5.6 Russar I use on a IIIf.
With a little practice, one can shoot with the camera at chest level
(partially concealed by a zip-up sweater or jacket) if one wants truly to
be hardcore, wind, and shoot again, all without looking as though one is
doing anything else than diddling the camera.  This worked fairly well for
me in the Red Light district of Amsterdam, where the 'subjects' are
considerably experienced and quite camera shy.

On the whole, though, this raises other questions about stealth and
appropriation that I personally find vexing and have not fully sorted out
for myself.  I've grown increasingly enthusiastic about interacting with my
subjects, letting them know that I'm there, asking them occasionaly to
establish eye contact, and generally fading into the background as they
lose interest in my presence.  I've been shooting a lot at my local, the
Green Leafe, here in Williamsburg.  The folk there now *expect* me to have
a camera, and think nothing of my interrupting a conversation and shooting
a few frames.  Ted Grant could speak more directly to this sort of thing,
as, I am sure could many others who've involved themselves in
photo-documentary work.  In a way, I find this last style more comfortable
than the sort of covert photography that once attracted me.

I should add, as well, that I'm 6'4.  It's hard to conceal myself, even on
the street.

Just a few thoughts . . .

Chandos

At 02:44 PM 7/23/98 -0400, you wrote:

>I'm a little self conscious (sp?) about carrying the M6 around slung
>over my shoulder (and even more so when it's around my neck, facing
>forward).  I simply don't care for the attention it attracts.

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http://www.resnet.wm.edu/~cmbrow/