Subject: [Leica] Kids and cameras redux
From: Bill Bain <BBain@IMNET.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Jul 1998 14:58:23 -0400

It was somewhat disturbing to see the level of rhetoric on this issue.
I, for one, was surprised on how some ideas got lifted out of context.
Letting my kids use my M3 is not that same as draping the camera around
their necks and booting them out of the car on 110th St. in NYC or South
Central LA.  Come on, folks, lighten up.  Taking pictures in the back
yard or neighborhood park had better not be as dangerous to my Leica
(and me) as some folks intimated!

The word "dilettante", with all it's negative connotations was bandied
about as well.  I daresay that most of us are or have been a
"dilettante" at one time or another.  In its original sense, a
"diletttante" was a lover of the arts.  Its secondary meaning someone of
means who played at a trade without the need to make his living at it, a
dabbler.  I don't know about you, but the first meaning fits me, as does
its secondary meaning.  I'd starve if I had to earn my lving with my
camera!

Y'all been spending too much time in front of them thar Cee R Tees.  Go
spend some time looking at a RF patch or ground glass and turn on some
silver halides instead of each other!

Bill Bain