Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Leica Gear & Kids
From: "Bryan Willman" <bryanwi@seanet.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 23:53:24 -0700

from (I'm not quite sure)

< snip >

>>All of this came about because she *loves* the feel of that FE2.
>>So the moral is, whether it's kids or wives, if you want them to
>>enjoy photography, the must have a camera they enjoy.  P&S's
>>with squinty little finders, boxy old cameras that are uncomfortable
>>to hold - these will significantly undermine peoples' enjoyment of
>>the hobby.

< snip >

Bryan's Rules

#1:
    Any camera that you have and makes good pictures
    for you and you do not hate is a good camera.
    (I've never met a Hasselblad I didn't want to murder.)

#2:
    Shoot lots now, ask questions and edit later.

What this has to do with Kids, Spouses, and Cameras.

For my SO and Kid, Leica's don't work, because in
general they don't want to deal with focus and exposure.
Not that they can't.  Or wouldn't.  But there are alternatives
that let them ignore these things, and that is what they
want.  So I give them cameras out of my inventory that
do this for them.

Sometimes I think the biggest help to a kid doing
photography is to take their film to the lab for them
and give it and the prints back without too many
lectures about cost, technique, etc.  Just make sure
they look at what they did.  For the SO, it's to pack
the camera bag with all the needed stuff so she
has it all right from the start of the trip.

bmw