Subject: Re: [Leica] LUGging, attitudes, dilettantes
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:23:53 -0700

At 09:13 AM 7/22/98 +0200, Alan Ball wrote:

>Well Jim, as mentionned in the paragraph you kindly snipped, I do NOT
>have that time either, far from it. I select a few threads and was
>curious about what was posted under this subject line. Shows I'm just as
>sick as most people: it smelled powder, I opened the post... I'm at the
>very moment cheating on my work time, 'lugging' instead of sweating.

Yes indeed, how true

>to discuss. Terms like "stupid", "trash", etc, do not help constructive
>discussions. And Eric's post added fuel to that fire.

I will try and temper my attitude toward obtuse and exasperating verbiage.

>If the club does not formally exist, I do sense a little too often the
>expression of what should be the "party line", including explicit calls
>for the exclusion of the dissident members. I repeat I do appreciate a
>lot of your posts, I do not call you by any names, but I  dislike
>unprovoked violence, weither physical or verbal. Your original post was
>violent, Eric's was very violent. I do not call them "really all
>friendly" in any way.

I guess my post might have seemed strong, because the original post was so
totally wrong. And since one of my sons, had an old, already beat-up, SL
from age ten, I was being called a dabbling amateur - a dilettante -. I'm
sorry, but that post from Alan was not only completely bogus, but totally
unfriendly to boot. So I guess I answered in a similar temper. All of the
private responses I got from that post were all supportive, basically
dittoing what I said. Which can be boiled down to a single sentence...

"Please don't post un-researched, totally erroneous data, followed by name
calling."

Friendly regards

Jim