Subject: RE: [Leica] Old farts at 43 - or even older
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 18:26:31 -0700

I think I understand what Dieter's trying to say.  He's disgusted that we
are becoming a "throw-away" society (at least in the West) and that quality
doesn't count for much.  For example, my younger friends and colleagues, go
wild over my Canon Optura, simply because it's so "cool", because it uses
the latest technology, and can gives you immediate gratification by allowing
you to download images immediately.  Quality construction in the extreme (as
in the Leica M4 and earlier) is less of an issue today because a product's
intended useful lifespan is so short.

Whenever I'm carrying a Leica and the Optura, it's the Optura that gets all
the attention from everyone, especially from younger people.  No one seems
to care that the still quality from the Optura is nowhere near that of a
Provia slide shot with the Leica and scanned with a good film scanner.  Nor
do they seem to care that the Optura will be totally obsolete sometime next
year when Canon builds the next thing that everyone just has to have.  When
that happens, my Optura will go into the closet with all the other obsolete
electronic stuff I've bought over the years.

- --Jim

	Dieter, I'm not sure what your grudge is about. Wish my German were
as
	fluent as your
	English.

	Slan