Subject: Re: [Leica] Older cameras are better
From: Paul Chefurka <pchefurk@ca.newbridge.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 13:41:36 -0400

B. D. Colen wrote:

> Speaking of older cameras being better - Does it strike anyone else that if
> you want to go basic, you can't put together a much better outfit than M6
> with the 35 1.4 ASP, 50 summilux, (21 if you can) and then a Nikon F -
> that's right, an F - with a 105 2.5 and a 180 2.8 ED ?
>
> I know, I know, the charts could prove to me that the 90 2.8 is better than
> the Nikkor 105 2.5, but I don't know that black and white prints would -
> That is one terrific lens, and using that focal length on the reflex really
> is easier...and the 180? It's hard to top. And, the best part of all of this
> is how cheap the N part of the outfit is...

I think you're on the right track.  Thoreau's admonition to "simplify,
simplify, simplify" is dear to my heart. I have an old version of the
105/2.5 (with the black barrel and the metal focussing ring), and
there's no doubt that the look of it mounted on a black FTn says
"photography" better than anything except a Leica.

However, my feelings about the 90-105mm focal length are a bit mixed of
late.  Ever since I got my M's I find I use the 50 more than anything
Where PM (Pre-M) I used the 85 and the 105 a fair bit, now I find I use
the 55 Micro and the 180AF on the F3, and use the short teles (either on
the Leica or the N) very very little.  Maybe it's just that learning to
use a 50 on an M is such an absorbing and liberating process that I
just haven't any interest in diluting my attention.

You're right about that 180 - to get that kind of quality for that
little money is a real treat.  While I've had 3 FTns, I ultimately
got rid of them in favour of the F3HP (without motor), which is IMHO
the closest thing the SLR world currently offers to the M6.  Simple,
rugged, reliable, light, ergonomically satisfying and extremely well
built.

My personal "simple system" is an M4 with a 35/2.0, an M3 with the
90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit-M, a 50/2.0 to share between them, and an F3HP
with a 20/2.8, a 55/2.8 micro and a 180/2.8 AF.  But you know what?
When I head out for an afternoon of shooting for fun (the only kind
I do any more), the F3 doesn't seem to want to come along any more...

Paul