Subject: Re: [Leica] Gen. Loan
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 1998 00:37:43 -0400

- ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01BDB2AD.71794060

Eric,
Good point there. A photograph is a slice out of a continuous timeline. =
What we sometimes make of any given "slice" can very well be a lie. I =
would then say that in that respect one could not make a moral judgement =
about a photograph, in that it represents a moment in time. This would =
make it without any moral attachment except those we ourselves give it.
At the time, I was in the Navy; I had several Navy buddies killed or =
wounded. While I was in the Great Lakes Naval Hospital, I made friends =
with lots of Marines who were on the same ward. They had seen so much =
more than I, and had suffered far greater injuries and I could empathize =
with them. In extraordinary times, people will do extraordinary things. =
The problem is that for every extraordinarily good act of bravery, =
selflessness or compassion, there seems to be an act of greed, rage, or =
lust that tarnishes the lustre of man's achievements.
I don't envy your choices, Eric; it would seem a heavy burden to have to =
decide the context of those 'timeslices' that come across your desk!
To keep things in context, and the least little bit on topic, I will say =
this about Adams; he's a helluva photographer. I sincerely wish I had =
his 'eye', and reflexes when I pick up a camera. I don't think he should =
beat himself silly because he recorded a moment that was horrible to =
some, disturbing to others and distasteful to most.
As always, best of light to you!
Dan'l

- ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01BDB2AD.71794060

<HTML>
<HEAD>

http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT color=3D#000000 size=3D2>Eric,</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Good point there. A photograph is a slice out of a =
continuous=20
timeline. What we sometimes make of any given &quot;slice&quot; can very =
well be=20
a lie. I would then say that in that respect one could not make a moral=20
judgement about a photograph, in that it represents a moment in time. =
This would=20
make it without any moral attachment except those we ourselves give=20
it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>At the time, I was in the Navy; I had several Navy =
buddies=20
killed or wounded. While I was in the Great Lakes Naval Hospital, I made =
friends=20
with lots of Marines who were on the same ward. They had seen so much =
more than=20
I, and had suffered far greater injuries and I could empathize with =
them. In=20
extraordinary times, people will do extraordinary things. The problem is =
that=20
for every extraordinarily good act of bravery, selflessness or =
compassion, there=20
seems to be an act of greed, rage, or lust that tarnishes the lustre of =
man's=20
achievements.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I don't envy your choices, Eric; it would seem a =
heavy burden=20
to have to decide the context of those 'timeslices' that come across =
your=20
desk!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>To keep things in context, and the least little bit =
on topic,=20
I will say this about Adams; he's a helluva photographer. I sincerely =
wish I had=20
his 'eye', and reflexes when I pick up a camera. I don't think he should =
beat=20
himself silly because he recorded a moment that was horrible to some, =
disturbing=20
to others and distasteful to most.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>As always, best of light to you!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Dan'l</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_000B_01BDB2AD.71794060--