Subject: RE: [Leica] Wonders of plastic (digital)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Jul 1998 08:11:33 -0500

At 10:09 AM 7/18/98 +0200, you wrote:

>But I would never dare try to sell or give as a present a print that has
>not been produced through the traditional chain. Since I do not have the
>knowledge and infrastructure to do my own colour printing, I outsource it.
>At a cost-per-print inferior to home inkjet printing and a quality level
>unbelievably superior, justifying to my eyes my investment in Leica (or
>Nicapentolta).

I wonder how many people are able to produce prints in black and white that
justify this standard you talk about. I find black and white is harder to
print on a dye-sub printer than color. And most examples of traditional
black and white printing I see by amateurs is mediocre at best. Not always,
and nobody here take offense, it's just practice makes perfect, and mostly
those who personally are exposed to the absolute best (workshops and formal
training) ever approach it.

And I know for sure that even many pro labs don't produce prints as good as
a skilled Photoshop user and a top-level dye-sub printer, archival quality
aside. It's not the absolute best that digital imaging aims for these days,
but making the "middle ground" easier and attainable for more people. Even
Leica users.
- --

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO
http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Don't be surprised if you see a halo around my head. It should be
expected. After all, light bends around incredibly dense objects.  -
Clifton Painter