Subject: [Leica] OT - Montana photographers / Yearbook Advisor
From: "Bill Larsen" <ohlen@lightspeed.net>
Date: Wed, 15 Jul 1998 14:15:11 -0700

Please excuse this long off-topic posting.  I have an affinity for =
people that are assigned to do something that may not fall within their =
particular expertise, but still must do it because they are there and =
there is no one else.  Any Montana list members?

- ---Background:  There was a posting on the rec.photo.equipment.35mm =
(which is not always the best place to get accurate information) =
regarding "Yearbook Advisor".  It seems that a teacher has been =
"drafted" to be the yearbook advisor and teach photography in an =
isolated Montana community with a population of about 1,200 people and =
the nearest big city, Billings, about 90 miles away.  There is a budget =
of $350 to buy camera equipment.

- ---I suggested trying to set-up a support group using the following =
(some were suggested before I realized the location).
 =20
1. Photo club. Go to your local photo dealer and ask if there is an =
active photo club. The folks in photo clubs are really happy to share =
advice and act as resources.
2. The local newspaper. Our newspaper is small town. The photographers =
are young and are happy to share their knowledge.
3. You local camera dealer. These folks are knowledgeable about all =
types of photography. Your yearbook class are potential future =
customers. Plus very few camera dealers got into the business because =
they were going to get rich. It is usually a logical progression from an =
interest in photography.
4. Your local photographer. You probably are not going to be competing =
with your local photographer for business. They are usually very happy =
to share what knowledge they have.
5.  The National Park Service should have a public relations unit.
6.  The Forest Service may have a public relations unit.
7.  If there is a military base anywhere near, they should have a public =
relations unit.
8.  If all else fail, there is state government. (Start with the =
governor's office).  (Montana is not a really big state).

- ---Any other suggestions???

In addition, the "advisor" asked me what camera I would recommend.  I am =
too biased towards manual cameras (M=92s, R6x, old Pentax, Minolta, and =
Nikon) to give an answer within their budget restraints and the probable =
further restraint that they will have to buy new.  In my personal =
opinion, people should learn using manual focus and manual exposure =
cameras.  So I am not informed as to "modern cameras."

- --Any suggestions?  Unfortunately, all of my cameras are currently in =
use else I would send them one.  We had a recent thread about where to =
donate working equipment.  Perhaps this would be a good place to start.

- ---The school is Harlowton High School, P.O. Box 288 (304 Division
Street), Harlowton, MT 59036 which is located in Wheatland County, =
Montana.  My contact is:
stoltzy@mcn.net

And I thought I lived in an isolated area---
Regards,  Bill Larsen ohlen@lightspeed.net