Subject: Re: [Leica]Off topic...(Values Question)
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 23:50:46 +0100

LP6@aol.com wrote:

> Eric Welch:
>
> Re:  1.  Statistical Significance and 2,  Control in examination of
> photography and values.
>
> 1.  We will not achieve statistical significance because we will knowingly
> violate the assumptions of the parametric T-Test and F-Test (statistical
> models) (e.g., assumption of random sampling is violated).   Statistical
> significance is important here.  One may violate the assumptions of a
> statistical model providing one is up front and declares openly what one is
> doing.  Heuristic assessments and serendipidity are as imporant as scientific
> methodology.  Statistics is a product of natural science.  My work embodies a
> second science, a new science we call Value Science.  The co-play and counter-
> play of the two forms Unified Science and so I work in a world of three
> sciences.

Amazing, how the word 'science' has different meanings for different
people... I'd like to see how my thesis committee would respond to this,
but not emough to actually try it! :-S
Alexey Merz | URL: http://www.webcom.com/alexey | email: alexey@webcom.com
            | PGP public key: http://pgp5.ai.mit.edu/ | voice:503/494-6840
            |"...during my five minutes of reflection, the world spent ten