Subject: Re: [Leica] (Help... I've fallen and cant get up!)
From: "Gary Todoroff" <datamaster@humboldt1.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jul 1998 23:39:31 -0700

Jim -
Reminds me of a "social science" type of book I sent back to the publisher
years ago for a refund, along with a critique in the form of my own
statistical formula:

	Comprehension = 1 / (MESS)squared

where MESS stands for "Multifarious Effluent Syllabic Sum".

Anybody wanta' talk about UV filters?

Gary

> From: Jim Brick
>
> Am I the only one that thinks this stuff belongs somewhere else?
>
> Jim
>
> At 11:34 PM 7/13/98 -0400, you wrote:
> >Eric Welch:
> >
> >Re:  1.  Statistical Significance and 2,  Control in examination of
> >photography and values.
> >
> >1.  We will not achieve statistical significance because we will
knowingly
> >violate the assumptions of the parametric T-Test and F-Test (statistical
> >models) (e.g., assumption of random sampling is violated).   Statistical
> >significance is important here.  One may violate the assumptions of a
> >statistical model providing one is up front and declares openly what one
is
> >doing.  Heuristic assessments and serendipidity are as imporant as
scientific
> >methodology.  Statistics is a product of natural science.  My work
embodies a
> >second science, a new science we call Value Science.  The co-play and
> counter-
> >play of the two forms Unified Science and so I work in a world of three
> >sciences.
> >
> >2.  Control Group:  College Students reflecting the normative value
vision in
> >our culture.
> >
> >      (Note:  The valuemetric procedure I use is based on a formal
theory of
> >value whose hypotheses have been validated empirically by me over the
years.
> >This is not a psychological test procedure, and its construction follows
none
> >of the criteria of test construction promoted by psychology or
psychiatry.
>  It
> >is a new approach to values researach and goes beyond the behavioral
> sciences:
> >See:  Edwards and Davis, Editors,  "Forms of Value and Valuation";
University