Subject: Re: [Leica] Palo Alto LUG slide night
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 11 Jul 1998 16:56:05 -0700

mark wrote:

>i'd like to echo that ! what a pleasure !
>
>special thank to Jim for hosting the evening ! Charlie for organizing it !
>and to Tom for representing "the company" !

And also thanks to Jeff Alford for representing our "local" authorized
dealer, K&S. Aside from that... Jeff and his wife Cathy are dedicated Leica
users. Jeff uses M and Cathy uses R.

And thanks for a very entertaining evening with everyone's slides. Jeff's
great M6 still lifes of Bodie, Mono Lake, etc., Doug's marvelous 400mm bird
photographs, Charlie's great slides of his recent trip to Armenia and his
E200 @ EI-800 results, mark's great local bay area slides, some using Fuji
MS100/1000 at EI-1000, John Gong's great slides showing what can be done
with the new collapsible Elmar, Tom's great Minilux Zoom "slides" and his
factory tour slides. Am I missing anyone?

Paul Brodac arrived from Japan just in time for the meeting. And he stayed
awake during the whole evening. Three hours sleep in two days. That lets
you all know about how interesting the Bay Area LUG (BALUG) meeting was.

And Eric Champion took Polaroids of the group activities. What a great
evening.

>what a special treat to get a chance to handle the new M8 !
>the technology sharing deal with Nikon will no doubt
>bring massive benfits to both companies ! How Exciting !

mark, you forgot to mention the fact that all of the brand N lenses will
work in autofocus mode on that new M8. so leica users have a great source
of cheap lenses so they can take cheap looking photographs.

>it's was a pity about the fracas between Jim and Jeff regarding the
>soft releases. good thing Charlie brought that single malt !

Yeah... Good thing. With soft releases whizzing around the room, it's a
wonder anyone survived.

>> LUGgers in other areas should consider informal meetings like this one...

>ditto. it was very nice to see how different people's eyes are and how
>people use these wonderful tools in different ways. the reality of different
>styles helps to put the struggle of one company to satisfy alot of users
>into perspective.
>
>it was a wonderful evening, thanks to all who participated !
>
>mark

It was indeed a wonderful evening. Lots to talk about, smiling faces,
equipment to look at, great slides, Tom's tour and talk about the factory,
Leica's philosophy, support, etc. Tom talked about a lot of stuff that,
when delivered coherently, with examples, and philosophies, (as Tom did)
gives a great understanding of Leica USA and Leica AG. Puts much of the
negative stuff that appears on the LUG in perspective.

Many thanks to Charlie Dunlap for thinking up the idea and coordinating
letting people know about it. I'm very happy that I could supply the
facility, and some of the snacks. Tom and Jeff also supplied some. With
both a Leica RT300 carousel and two Leica straight tray (I don't remember
the numbers) projectors worked out perfectly as some people had Leica
straight stays and some had carousels.

The smiling faces, information transfer, jokes, etc... made for a really
wonderful evening.

We will do it again in the future.

Jim