Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:Leica Quality Control
From: Jens-Peter Horst <Jens-Peter.Horst@ummed.edu>
Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:35:20 -0400

> Charles Dunlap wrote:
>
> > I think it's time for a roll call, just to set the record straight, of
> > folks who have bought new equipment, from authorized Leica dealers, that
> > had to be exchanged or repaired within the first month of ownership.

Last year in August I bought a brand new Leica R6.2 in Germany. Afterwards I toured through Canada and Mexico and it turned out that at least twice a stretch of 10 to 15 pictures were underexposed. Since I knew that I had
always adjusted exposure correctly I did not know what went wrong, but did not want to believe that it was the camera's fault. Recently the lightmeter again gave weird readings. After changing the battery ( I thought with
these manual cameras they would last longer than a year or 2000 something exposures) readings were normal again for a week or so before the lightmeter again started to give me readings at least two stops too dark. I had to
send it in for repair.
After reading that they put 6.2s through harsh temperature changes and make sure everything is still working fine under the hardest of conditions I must say, I was a little bit dissapointed of my Leica. After all, why spend
all the money if the body is afterwards not more reliable than a Pentax, Ricoh or any other less expensive camera?

Jens-Peter