Subject: RE: [Leica] Hiking lens set for R cameras
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 05:00:39 -0400

	Dream "Nature Photography" Leica-R system:

	1/ In the area I live, 100 miles East from Montreal,
	   there are all sort of very tiny vegetal, flora,
	   about 2 inches or less, with very many species
	   to admire, a whole lot actually about 1 inch
	   or less, and they are magnificent, of a very
	   tactile visual quality. I have seen M.C. Escher
	   drawings of such a "tiny forest" and that's one
           "project" in the back of my mind.

	   What's the best Leica way to "get at" these tiny plants ?

	  	- Optical Macro extender ?

		- extension tubes ?

		- PHOTAR, those little exotic Leica oddities
		  i've never seen elsewhere before... ?

	2/ a super wide, like the 19mm, to me,
	   leaves an important "hole" in the "cramped in"
	   landscape area of the focal length spectrum,
	   though the 19mm, [a focal i have NO experience with ! ],
	   may leave more creative control to get
	   more composition freedom and enhanced
	   "geometrics", aggravated multi-point perspectives,
	   without the "fish-eye" super wide blob
	   of lesser competitive optics.

	   That would be either a 24 mm or a 28mm, to me,
	   or, dreaming, the perspective control Leica.

	   I have not read much about that lens since on the LUG;
	   none actually.

	   Any comments ?

	   Oddly, the "perpective control" might just be the one
	   i'd consider #1, even before the 35mm. But i wouldn't want
	   to risk lessening "my" overall system capabilities
	   where vast "infinity focus" landscapes are concerned,
	   possibly the "traditional" 35mm focal: then AGAIN:
	   what about that "perspective control" model,
	   for such an application ?

	3/ A ZOOM, capable of 70-180mm or better,
	   possibly the "APO" model [!!!], would very definitely
	   be closer to MY personal needs, not forgetting these
	   ARE Leica quality lenses, especially if "travelling lite"
	   would be a priority. If money was "easy" for me,
           surely the APO Zoom; if not, then the f/4 one.

	4/ Not for me, but a very long telephoto, 500mm - 600mm
	   sure would make sense to the wildlife photographer,
	   with a VERY stable tripod.

	5/ An automatic monopod, preferably one like the Manfrotto 334B
	   which adds only 1/2 kilo to the "system".

	6/ I would also consider RING FLASH capability for my system,
	   much more than a regular flash, as i tend to be a 99%+
	   available light person. Collapsible reflector or 2 as option.

	7/ Some form of wireless remote control capability, 30 feet+,
	   hopefully with timer functions too, would be a major
	   consideration to any such "dream system" of mine,
	   though not on a priority basis.

	8/ AUTOMATIC bracketing ability is another function
	   I'd like to see in my "dream system".

	   That's the only thing i would add IN the Leica R8 Mk II
	   rather than on an outboard motor drive. PLUS,
	   built-in Zone System mode =E0 la Hasselblad 205FCC 'Z'.

	SUMMING UP:

		 1- perspective control wide angle

		 2- either 35mm or 50-60 mm

		 3- 70-180 mm Zoom; f/4 model fine too.

		 4- ultra close up or macrophotography
		    capability, possibly a 100mm APO
                    with optical macro extender

		 5- Photar

		 6- Motor drive with AUTOMATIC bracketing ability.

	Andre Jean Quintal