Subject: Re: [Leica] It's a sickness...
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@hpvclmn2.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Jul 1998 13:33:58 -0700

jeremy.kime@bbc.co.uk wrote:

> I guess it's many different reasons for many different folks, genuine
> photographical want, security, envy, pride

> It would be interesting to hear what a pschologist defines as the
> infatuation of collecting.

There have been psychological studies about how
people relate to their possessions.  To some extent
a person's possession is a part of that person; it
defines who they are.

I have three Leica M's.  The last one I bought with
the clear knowledge that I didn't want a near-mint
M3 ending up as a fashion accessory in a foreign
country, and so I felt compelled to "save" it.

Hoewever, I also feel absolutely compelled to buy
any mint Nikon F2 that I find (and I do have more
than a few already).  I cannot explain this, and
the knowledge that I don't "need" it or that I've
already got some doesn't help.

- -Dave