Subject: [Leica] To use or not to use UV filter
From: dmm@bronze.lcs.mit.edu (Andrew M. Moore)
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 16:18:06 -0400 (EDT)

I don't often use a filter with my non-Leica lenses, but my 35/2
Summicron-M cost enough that I want to do it simply for the protection
it offers.

If I use Leica's own E39 UV filter, am I likely to significantly
decrease the optical performance for which I bought the lens in the
first place?  I assume the answer is "yes", but I also suspect it may
be by a negligible amount, at least by my standards.  I don't
scrutinize my photos for the absolute best optical performance.

The lens in question is the 35/2 ASPH.

If anyone has such a filter for sale, please let me know.  I'd also
be interested in knowing what they typically go for.  I was quoted
$75 (special order, at that) by one of my local shops.

Andrew