Subject: [Leica] M6 not expensive
From: Frank Dernie <FrankDernie@compuserve.com>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 03:31:26 -0400

Sorry about the title! But what has really happened is that electronic an=
largely plastic cameras have become massively cheaper in real terms leavi=
ng
the Leica standing out.

The cost of top class photographic equipment 40 years ago was such that
almost nobody could afford it. A professional needed lots of cash as well=

as technical and artistic skills to get results. Nowadays almost anybody
can afford equipment that will give technically excellent results 90% of
the time. That is why there are so many more photographers nowadays
competing for the same work.

I am sure that an updated Nikon SP or F would cost a similar price to a
Leica were they to consider making it. Precision mechanical parts are
spectacularly more expensive than injection moulded and electronic
equivalents.

The true cost of anything is the difference between the cost paid and the=

value if sold. I have bought all but one of my lenses and both my bodies
second hand, with the resale value continuing as it has for the last few
years the cost has been truly minimal compared to using even the best N, =
C,
M or P (if I were actually to ever sell!)
Cheers Frank