Subject: Re: [Leica] Photo whores {was Life magazine}
From: tedgrant@islandnet.com (Ted Grant)
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 19:59:30 +0100

<<<<<<< Making great pictures good enough for publication is very, very
difficult for all but a few at the very top of the business. Even they have
to work at it.>>>>>>>>>

Hi Eric,

well said!  Many folks think our work consists of going "click" and we are
perceived to travel the world on holidays any time we go on overseas
assignment.

They don't take into account our relationship to the cultures we have to be
careful of, the food, decease and land mines and drivers hired. The police
who thrive on "hand outs" to assist with their meager salary, nor the moron
editors back home who have absolutely no idea what the hell it's like on
the other side of the pond, let alone the otherside of their own countries.

No this doesn't mean I'd quit or trade it in, just too damn much fun,
worry, excitement and danger to become one of those 9-5 grey suit folks who
lead a terribly boring regimented life. No offence to those of you who have
the exciting 9-5 professions! :)  But you also know there are more dull 9-5
than your exciting!:)

I beleive automation in camera equipment allowing idiot proof picture
exposures and focus has something to do with the attitude to those of us
dedicated to our profession, therefore making the photographer's role
appear to be a piece of cake in editors thinking,  "why do we pay this guy
all that money to shoot for us, when uncle Willie is a hell of a good
photographer! You should see what he did at cousin Clara's wedding! They
were great all the aunts and uncles loved them."

Even Clara cried when she saw them.

Of course what the stupid editor didn't realize was, Clara was crying
because uncle Willie's pictures were all in focus and properly exposed, but
they were in truth...."shit pictures!!"   Pardon me folks it's the only way
they could be described!!!!

It has become extremely difficult being a pro photographer even with many
years experience and lots of clients. This is partially due to the many
photo schools cranking out thousands of, "photographers" every year.  Many
who are told "the world is waiting for you new photographers, lots of jobs
out there!"

When the truth is....there aren't any jobs, they are becoming less and the
money of the good old days has dried up no matter how good you are.

The other side is, editors are as fickle as a Saturday night whore! Love
you to-night forget you before dawn! However as quick as the lady of the
evening will look after you, the editors will screw you quicker!  The bean
counters take care of that even faster! Hell those b----tards will screw
you before you get your fly undone!

It's one of the truly great professions of life involvement, but it is fast
disappearing due to many factors; primarily bean counters, share holders
and  fickle people who don't buy quality journalism. But most of all,
visually illiterate editors and visually challenged designers!

ted