Subject: [Leica] Re: snobbery - serious response
From: Dave Munroe <dmunroe@hpvclmn2.vcd.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Jul 1998 09:41:47 -0700

Martin V. Howard wrote:

> If twenty fat cat tourists walk into your favourite
> Leica shop and all buy M6HMs with 35/1.4 ASPH and Kodak Gold,
> and then proceed to take holiday snaps, what has that got to
> do with the ability, skill, craft, interest, knowledge, or
> hair colour of the people on this list?

Perhaps it doesn't matter initially.  What I would worry
about is something like this: when a camera manufacturer
realizes that most of its customers are collectors or
non-serious (undemanding) photographers, then they will
almost unconsciously cater to that market.  Quality control
and reliability will diminish, gimmicks and cosmetic features
will increase.

Granted, this has *not* happened with Leica.

- -Dave