Subject: [Leica] RE: carrying two cameras, sometimes six.
From: "BIRKEY, DUANE" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 10:55:41 -0500

Well everyone has a different opinion of the best approach.  Quite
frankly no one approach is perfect for every situation.

Ted apparently doesn't like to change lenses or film and he must have
stronger shoulders and a stronger neck than mine.
 I could never work with six bodies at once, I have a hard enough time
covering an event with three.  I have to work in a circle from left
shoulder to right using one lens.   But, walking around with open camera
bodies and changing lenses in the midst of a construction site with dust
and sand blowing everywhere is not a good option either.  Some surgeons
don't like unsterile camera bags in the operating room either, (most in
Ecuador don't care)  So there are justifiable situations.

Basically, I use one camera for every type of film I'm shooting.  It's
kind of a pain, actually, shooting everything 3 ways and I've found that
the results tend to be more mediocre as a whole.  So I try to nail down
what the preferred film type is beforehand and shoot mostly that, getting
a few important shots with the other cameras as the situation arises.

For travel photography, I almost always carry 2 bodies and 3 lenses(two
zooms and a 50 macro) in a Domke 803 satchel.  I prefer to only have one
camera out at any given point, I shoot mostly slides and a few B&W
depending on the subject.   I partly figure that I am slightly less
obvious working with one camera  out than two.  Walk around with 3
cameras and you'll get everyone attention.  Besides that, thieves see
three cameras hanging around your neck and BINGO you've got a couple
friends following you around waiting for you to walk down a deserted
street.

The biggest reason for me is a practical one, I find it easier to change
lenses working this way.    I generally leave the 50 macro on one body,
leave the other zoom without caps in the insert so I've always got an
empty spot in the bag for the transition between lenses.  I switch lenses
using my right hand, leaving the left to grasp the body.  It takes me
longer to swap lenses between two cameras over my shoulders and is harder
to do while you are moving.

I find I shoot some things spontaneously and others very deliberately,
For some images, the subject isn't going anywhere and the light isn't
going to change so not having a camera around your neck isn't going to
cause you to miss the shot.  For many spontaneous situations, having two
cameras around your neck isn't going to help either as you'll be lucky to
capture the moment with one camera, it's often gone before you can switch
to the other.  Besides that, I find that a second body out that isn't
being used is a distraction to me.   It might as well be out of the way
in the bag.

But to each his own.  Try it and see what works best for you.

Duane Birkey

HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador