Subject: Re: [Leica] 50 Summicron or Summilux
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Sat, 4 Jul 1998 15:20:57 EDT

Ben, I have the full complement of leica 50's, nocti, -lux,-crons and also the
2.8/50 elmar(it). The Nocti is heavy,bulky and will cope with the really low
light. The 50 Summilux is, in my mind, a compromise lens. It is an old design
and performance wise it is adequate, the Summicron is the Legend and deserves
the praise heeped on it. The latest version ( with the collapsible hood) lacks
the little focussing tab and that is a major flaw in my mind ( I put one on
it), but for true portability and a really excellent price/performance ratio,
try the 50/2,8 Elmar(it). It is small, light and performs like a champ.
Slightly softer than the Summicron wide open, but holds is own after that.
Looks really unassuming on a black M and doesn't "threaten" the subject the
same way a Nocti or Summilux does. The early version of this lens had a
rotating aperture mount which drove me nuts. Every time you tried to change
the aperture, you also shifted the focus. The new version has a parallell
mount, the index for the aperture ring stays put. Of course it has the same
39mm filter thread that the 35/2 and 50/2 has. If you have a chance, shoot a
roll with one of these and see how good it is. Nice,lightweight complement to
the Noctilux.
Tom A